Loading...

Thursday, September 8, 2016

Homer and Linda's Icelandic Adventure - Sept. 8, 2016

Sept. 8, 2016

Today, we were determined to put our worries about what's happening in San Diego behind us and just enjoy our day with the Icelandic horses.

Linda went with a different group so my photos don't include her (I'm sorry!).

Mooie was my horse and he was great. We mostly walked but he also got into a tolt once, a special trot done my Icelandic horses.

Here's Mooie.

Mooie

And here I am astride Mooie.

Mooie and me
And another...

H3 and Mooie

This is what it looked like as we went along the bank high above a beautiful river.

Riding along a bank above a lovely river
To see a short video clip I took from Mooie as we walked along, please go here: https://youtu.be/r9aoEg1mVzY

Here are a couple of photos of the Icelandic horses. They are stocky, very strong, and sure-footed. They are one of the purest breeds in the world. If they leave Iceland for any reason, they are not allowed back in for fear of them bringing something in that would make all the other horses sick. They arrived here a thousand years ago or so, brought by the Vikings on their dragon ships and then over the years, developed into their special breed. I liked my little Mooie very much although he was something of a chow hound, always wanting to stop for grass.

Icelandic horses
More Icelandic horses
So it was a very good day. Thank you for coming along.

Homer Hickam, Author Helium-3 series, Josh Thurlow series, Carrying Albert Home, Coalwood series (Rocket Boys, The Coalwood Way, Sky of Stone, etc.) and many more fine books. www.homerhickam.com










1 comment: