Loading...

Thursday, August 13, 2015

A brand new Homer Hickam website!

I’m pleased to announce we have upgraded our website which you can now view at http://www.homerhickam.com!
Why the change? Well, just to be completely forthcoming, Linda and I did not give up our old website easily.
The Old

After all, we had put a lot of work in it over the years. But finally, we had to face the fact that it was very dated and looked sort of, well, tired. We’d also hung so much stuff on it, we knew it was hard to navigate. We could also tell that many people didn’t read much of anything on it because we received so much email with questions about things that were already on the old site.
So. . .
We took a deep breath and charged into the future with a new HomerHickam.com.
The New

One thing we learned from our new webmeister is that the way people look at websites these days has changed considerably since we created our old site. Internet surfers often use their iphones (or equivalent) to look at the Internet which means we needed to make sure our site looked good on the small screen of a phone as well as a giant screen on a computer. People also don’t like to click on a bunch of topics these days but prefer to scroll down a long, vertical page to see what they want to see. So you’ll notice some of that on our new site although some “clickable” stuff is inevitable.
We also wanted to highlight my new novel, Carrying Albert Home: The Somewhat True Story of a Man, his Wife, and her Alligator. The enthusiasm of our publishers, both domestic and Internationally, has been amazing and early reviews have been spectacular. We hope to engage a new crop of readers for Albert’s story as well as bring along our dear friends and fans who have read my other books.
"Albert" will be published Oct. 13, 2015

As you may notice, the new website has a place to order autographed and inscribed Homer Hickam books, called SHOP. On the other end of that order, you’ll find none other than Linda, my wife, who does this fine service to my readers entirely voluntarily with her little virtual bookstore, KnowInk . Well, I occasionally have to take her on vacation somewhere nice but that’s all. Our cats work for free in the shipping department.
Wyatt, Linda's Shipping Clerk

So be nice to Linda with lots of orders and I promise she’ll be really nice back. And your gift-giving problems will be solved!
And there you have it on our new website. Be sure to sign up for our newsletter on it and also check out the CONNECT page and let us know what you think of the new http://www.homerhickam.com and anything else you’d like us to know concerning my books, events, and so forth.
Aiming high out here as always,
Homer Hickam

7 comments:

  1. Refreshing new look, now back with Capt. Bob taking Albert for a boat ride............While he flirts with you know who..........

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great new website! The look really suits it well. My husband is currently looking into improving his business website. He is not as skilled as you though but I think this post will give him the inspiration he needs. Thank you for this keep up the great work and I look forward to many more in the future.

    Brigida Yeager @ Gold Finch Digital Marketing

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love getting a new website out. It always feels like a fresh start that should be celebrated. I also thinks it gives business new life and it can inspire new ideas that move the business in a positive and profitable direction. I think the main thing is change. Always be changing and always be learning when are able to.

    Steven @ Cambridge Local Marketing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your new book sounds fascinating! That is a truly attention grabbing title- can't wait to see how the alligator fits in to it. I like the new website as well- it's so easy to get stuck in a rut. To think " it'll do", instead of trying to improve. I might be inspired to make some changes to old favourites myself!

    Lavonne @ Optimal RoI

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, I really like the look and design of the new website. It looks really professional (not that the old one didn't!) and the colors look a lot more inviting and... I don't know... friendly? It also looks more organized and minimalist. I always like and gravitate to those sites that are simple and clean. This one definitely fits the bill! Congrats on the upgrade!

    Chris Hatcher @ Red Stick SEO

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love the look of the new website. I think it is fresh and creative. I understand that it may not have been easy to give up the design of the previous site, but I love how modern and engaging this new one looks. The color scheme and layout make it easy to read and delightful to look at.

    Mattie Lawrence @ Awesome Online Advertising

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great news on the Homer Hickman website. It looks very slick too! I can't believe how the old one looks, when compared to the new, refreshed website. It is sad to let the old one go, especially after all the work you and Linda have put in - but it will totally worth it. Wishing you the best of luck

    Edwin @ Clicks In Motion

    ReplyDelete